[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 Trunking confirmation?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Oct 9 10:56:09 MST 2003

>Hi,
>
>My question is in refernece to the posting by Jeremy McNamara here..
>
>http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-October/022966.html
>
>He states that in order for "trunking" to work the type has to be
>peer.. When I set mine up I did so using type=friend just to make it
>simple.. So when I read the above posting I thought well maybe my
>"trunking" has not been working properly since I set it up (It does
>in fact work, I can make and recieve calls over the IAX connection
>without any apperent problems)..
>
>So a short while ago I opened up my conf files and tried setting the
>type to peer from friend (yes I reloaded *).. Guess what??.. The
>link no longer worked.. I then tried setting type to user and it is
>worked.. So my IAX link works as friend and user but not as peer..
>Seeing as peer was specified as the requirement in order to get an
>IAX2 trunk to work properly I am a little confused..
>
>Is my setup working when it shouldn't be or have I got something backwards??
>
>Later..

Something isn't working right with your system, specifically.  I have
many IAX2 configurations set to "type=friend" and "trunk=yes" which
work quite well.  I will agree with Jeremy though and say that having
large implementations with "type=friend" may cause you headaches in
the future depending on what you want to offer to your customers.

JT