[Asterisk-Users] 7940/60 TFTP Problem

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Oct 9 05:11:18 MST 2003

Had those same problems with "some" 7960's but not with others. As
previously mentioned (below and by others on the list over the last
year), start by downloading sip v2.x, then v3.x, then v4.x then 5.x
and somewhere around v4.x remove all the comment lines in SIPDefault.
It will work. The problem has been observed by many. Since none of us
have 7960 source code, we can only guess at what the root problem is.

Or, you can put the phones under Cisco maintenance, call the TAC center,
and they'll tell you to do the same thing.

------------------------
> Thanks to all that have responsed on this issue.  To clarify, I have been able to
successfully upgrade at least 4 phones.  2 are giving me the malformed packet problem.
They were both running MGCP 3.3 code by the way.

> The phone goes through it's standard boot sequence, then looks for the file OS79XX.TXT
which it sees and downloads properly.  This file only contains the image version I want
the phoen to have:

> P0S3-05-3-00
>
> It then tries to download the file but iserts some garbage characters in the name:
>
> P0S3-05-3-00"Garbage".bin
>
> at which point it does not upgrade since the file name contains garbage characters.
This is the second phone I have seen do this same exact thing.  The first was a 7940, this
is now a 7960.

> So in summary the process I have been using has been successful except with two phone
which are doing the same exact thing.

> Thanks again for the attention to this matter.
>
> Babak
>
> Rich Adamson wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I have purchused several Cisco

> > 7940 and 7960 phones.  Of the 5 phones so far I have run accross 2 that that give me
> > malformed TFTP and refuse to upgrade to the latest version of SIP code -- 5.3.  In
fact
> > some of the other phones also give malformed packets do this but they seem to work OK.
> > The ones giving me the problem when looking in ethereal are misiing part of the filename
> > to get it upgraded to SIP.
> > >
> > > I know why it does not work, but why are these malformed packets apearing.  I also tried
> > to go to a windows based TFTP server (original was linux TFTP) with the same results.
> > >
> > > Any ideas anyone?
> >
> > Without specific error codes, packet traces, etc, we can only guess.
> > Some real options include:
> >
> > a) not all tftp servers are the same. Over about 15 years of experience,
> > many tftp servers have an issue with the last packet and how to close
> > the session. Might research the exact software you're using.
> >
> > b) the cisco phones seem to have an issue with the "comment" lines in the
> > SIPDefault file (on the tftp server). Remove every one and test again.
> > This seems to be highly dependent on the exact versions of SIP code
> > implemented (in sequence) from v2.x upward. Some phones seem to have the
> > problem while others don't.
> >
> > Since we don't know what version of code was in the phone when you received
> > it, best guess is to boot to v2.x, then 3.x, then 4.x, then 5.x and I'll
> > bet (at least a beer) the problem disappears. Why? don't know, but lots
> > of similar comments on the list.

> --
> Babak Pasdar
> Founder/CTO
> IGX Global
> 389 Main St.
> Hackensack, NJ 07601
> www.igxglobal.com
> (201) 498-0555 ext. 2205
>
> The electronic message that you have received and any attachments are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential.
>
> If you receive this email in error, please advise us by responding to NOC at igxglobal.com. You are required to delete the contents and destroy any copies immediately.  IGX Global is not liable for the views expressed in this electronic message or for the consequences of any computer viruses that may
 be unknowingly transmitted within this message.