[Asterisk-Users] 7940/60 TFTP Problem

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Oct 9 00:55:48 MST 2003

>John Todd wrote:
>>  >I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I have
>>  >purchused several Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones.  Of the 5 phones so
>>  >far I have run accross 2 that that give me malformed TFTP and refuse
>>  >to upgrade to the latest version of SIP code -- 5.3.  In fact some
>>  >of the other phones also give malformed packets do this but they
>>  >seem to work OK.  The ones giving me the problem when looking in
>>  >ethereal are misiing part of the filename to get it upgraded to SIP.
>>  >
>>  >I know why it does not work, but why are these malformed packets
>>  >apearing.  I also tried to go to a windows based TFTP server
>>  >(original was linux TFTP) with the same results.
>>  >
>>  >Any ideas anyone?
>>  >
>>  >Babak
>>

>>  Some hints which may get you going:
>>
>>     http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/Cisco/79xx/upgrading.79xx.phones
>>
>>  Re-name the files on your TFTP server to shorter names; I know I used
>>  that trick at least a few times in the past.
>>
>  > JT

>OK, As per John Todd's suggestion I started playing around with file
>names trying a variety until I got the gollowing name to work
>without genertating malformed packets:
>
>P0S3-05-.bin
>
>However, now it starts the TFTP process and after packet 769 of the
>TFTP ethereal gives me:
>
>Error Code, Code: Disk full or allocation exceeded, Message
>
>The process is in a loop over and over and over again.
>
>Babak
>--
>Babak Pasdar
>Founder/CTO
>IGX Global
>389 Main St.
>Hackensack, NJ 07601
>www.igxglobal.com
>(201) 498-0555 ext. 2205

Note: please post follow-ups on the bottom of your message; it keeps
things in chronological order.

I had a phone do the same thing, and after about 100 reboots it
"magically" worked.  I have no idea why; the person who was working
on it simply gave up and let it sit on his desk and cycle for (1? 3?
5? days) and he came back and it was working.

Try loading one of the "other" images first, perhaps one of the
smaller ones (3.2.2) and see if that solves any problems.

JT