[Asterisk-Users] Licensing G729

Nicolas Gudino nicolas at house.com.ar
Wed Oct 8 10:05:00 MST 2003

Hi List,

I'm new to asterisk. I think it's great! I'm interested in terminating calls
via a SIP provider.  I want to know if I need to license G729 on asterisk in
these scenarios:

CISCO ATA186 - Asterisk - SIP Provider - PSTN

or this one:

CISCO ATA186 - Asterisk - CISCO ATA

To my understanding, in the second case, if one of the ATA is behind NAT, I
should set canreinvite=no, so the RTP channels would go through *, so I
would have to license G729 in order to use this codec with the ATAs. Is this
right?

But if boths ATA have public IPs, and * issues a reinvite, can the ATAs
negotiate G729 themselves, without needing it on * ?

And in the first scenario, if the SIP provider supports G729 and the ATA has
a public IP, do I need to license the codec in *?

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas Gudino
Buenos Aires - Argentina