[Asterisk-Users] Hypothetical : Working across multiple servers??

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Oct 8 09:18:06 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 10:52, WipeOut wrote:
> Hypothetical question..
>
> Lets say there is a situation where you are using the highest
> compression codecs for all extensions (I guess that would be G.729) and
> the load on a single server is overpowering the most powerful single
> processor(lets say SMP is not an option).. So two or more servers are
> required..
>
> Or
>
> The situation is that you need fault tolerance so want to have two
> Asterisk servers serving the same population of users and all users are
> able to authenticate to both servers (I guess you simply copy the same
> sip.conf to both servers for this) but you also want all other
> extensions to be availible to all users irrespective of which server
> they have connected to..
>
> I guess in a way it would be like an Asterisk cluster of some sort..
>
> What would the solution be? Has anyone got an install similar that they
> would like to share how it was done?

Wouldn't this be the perfect case for a switch statement, especially if
re-invites worked reliably for SIP? You could then have one machine that
accepted authentication and directed call management via it's
extensions.conf file. The other machines would then do the negotiation
with the endpoint and then do the codec work also.