[Asterisk-Users] auto 'modprobe wct1xxp' on startup?

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Tue Oct 7 14:00:38 MST 2003

john lawler wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for your answers on my two questions yesterday.  That's exactly
> what I was looking for, sorry for not noticing it myself, but I'm still
> getting acclimated to Asterisk and even Linux--from what I see so far, I
> love it.
>
> I've got another one now.  Since my Asterisk install and configuration
> is fairly stable at this point, I'm interested it ensuring that during
> the event of a power failure, when the power returns (or if the machine
> is manually restarted) that Asterisk will successfully load on the other
> side (automatically).
>
> I've used the provided asterisk startup script (which I moved to
> /etc/rc.d/init.d) and RedHat's 'chkconfig' to make sure that Asterisk is
> started on bootup, but the problem I'm having has to do w/ the wct1xxp
> module, I believe.
>
> When I want to start Asterisk manually, I just type 'modprobe wct1xxp'
> and my two T1 cards are correctly started and then I can start asterisk
> w/ the normal commands and everything works.
>
> But, when I come back from a restart, it appears that the Asterisk
> startup failed, and I think it's b/c the wct1xxp module is not loaded.
> What is the recommended way to ensure this happens?  I've been reading
> and found that modprobe (on startup, it appears) uses /etc/modules.conf,
> and here's what mine looks like:
>
>    alias eth0 e1000
>    alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid
>    alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
>    alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
>    options torisa base=0xd0000
>    alias char-major-196 torisa
>    #post-install wcfxs /sbin/ztcfg
>    #post-install wcfxsusb /sbin/ztcfg
>    #post-install torisa /sbin/ztcfg
>    #post-install tor2 /sbin/ztcfg
>    #post-install wcfxo /sbin/ztcfg
>    post-install wct1xxp /sbin/ztcfg
>    #post-install wct4xxp /sbin/ztcfg
>
> (I commented out all of the modules I think I don't need, but it didn't
> work when they weren't commented out anyway).  Does this have something
> to do w/ it?  Do I need to add something to indicate that wct1xxp should
> be loaded on startup elsewhere?
>
> I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and expertise.
>
> jl

This is the same problem I just had.
Don't know if it's the best way, but it works.

I created an executable file called "rc.modules" in my
/etc/rc.d/

----rc.modules-----
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe wct4xxp

and since the module needed to load before the init script called
asterisk, I call the rc.modules file from within the "rc.sysinit"
file (at the end of the file)
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules

boots with no problems now, otherwise asterisk would not just simply
start by calling it from an init script.