[Asterisk-Users] Compile problem SuSE 8.2

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Oct 7 12:21:47 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 14:10, rnc Info Lists wrote:
> I am trying to compile * on SuSE 8.2. When doing the "make install" in
> /usr/src/zaptel I get the following error.
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/system.h:189: warning: dereferencing
> type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
> freeIn file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h:5,
>                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
>                  from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/io.h:47,
>                  from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/pci.h:40,
>                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/pci.h:654,
>                  from zaptel.c:38:
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/pgalloc.h: In function `flush_tlb_page':
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/pgalloc.h:201: internal compiler error:
> Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
> make: *** [zaptel.o] Error 1
>
> Any ideas about where to look for the problem would be appreciated.

A segfault during compile is either a hardware problem, or a gcc
problem. Specifically this error said it was an "internal compiler
error" and therefore falls squarely on your hardware or gcc version. If
you don't have any reason to suspect your hardware, check for gcc
upgrades.

If gcc wasn't the problem, check your memory, cpu temperature, cpu
period, and possibly your hard drive and controller in pretty much this
order. Any of these could flip a bit or 2 and screw everything up.