[Asterisk-Users] Modem and Fax over VoIP

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Oct 6 11:43:21 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 10:12, Eduardo Goncalves wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I have the fowling scenario:
>
> fxs[asterisk1]-----iax-----[asterisk2]e1----e&m---PSTN
>
> 	I want to know the steps to transmit fax from a machine connected to the fxs to a fax machine on the PSTN. The same for dial-up's.
> 	Is it possible only with a/ulaw ?
> 	What configs I need in asterisk1?

If asterisk2 is your only access to the PSTN, then it doesn't make a lot
of sense to do fax over VoIP. Put a couple of modems on asterisk2 with
matching FXS ports and learn to use Hylafax. You will get better
performance out of the faxing and potentially lower bills. Also it is
more flexible. Not to mention that the bandwidth over VoIP to make data
quality calls is around 80k of VoIP to get flakey 9.6k. Do you need to
waste 10x bandwidth for sub par functionality?