[Asterisk-Users] Let's TALK ABOUT IT!!!

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Sun Oct 5 11:45:25 MST 2003

> It is that type of mechanism that enum uses and yes it was to solve a
> similar goal, but in this case you need a 'route server' type system - in
> particular as this is for IP routing of PSTN end points not on an IP
> network.

A discussion about this came up a while ago.  I suggested something along
the lines of BGP, where each endpoint announces "prefixes" of what they
can get to.  You'll need a central machine that everyone peers up with and
then you can use a switch => statement or exten => _.,1,Dial in * to query
that machine and get the best route for your call.  If you make sure that
your destination machines are not behind NAT or a firewall, you can do an
IAX handoff to get the connection set peer to peer instead of through the
central server.

Example:

4 remote * machines, each configured with our "BGP" software.

Machine 1 announces that it can terminate calls to country code 1 with a
cost of .02.
Machine 2 announces that it can terminate calls to 1 with a cost of .05.
Machine 3 announces that it can terminate calls to 1-830 with a cost of 0.
Machine 4 announces that it can terminate calls to 1-830-751 with a cost
of 0.

You place a call to 1-830-751-2000 and the system determines that it can
place that call for a cost of 0 to machine 4.
You place a call to 1-240-988-4000 and the system determines that it can
place that call via either machine 1 or 2, but lowest cost is machine 1.