DB virtualization for multiple database support - Was Re: [Asterisk-Users] How to use vmdb.sql in voicemail.conf/extension.conf

Garry Adkins gpa2 at netacs.net
Sun Oct 5 07:49:40 MST 2003

> > I am trying a scenerio where the * will take the email and mailbox number from the Mysql database for sendming mail to a voicemail user. I have seen vmdb.sql file but is not able to determine its use.

> You can't anymore MySQL was ripped from Asterisk because the client libs
> are GPL.

I would be more than happy to help write a DB "Virtualization" function for *.

I *love* the way it works in Java, but that's not a real possibility.  It wouldn't need to be as complicated as JDBC but it's a nice model.

We could however:
1)  Abstract out the schema from the database calls
2)  Develop a "pluggable" driver interface to translate to whatever DB you're using.

This way...  You want MySQL, you develop a "translation driver" that maps * db calls to MySql.  (fairly trivial)
Same for Postgres  (I'd suggest making this the default, as no GPL issues for mark, etc.)
Same for Oracle, etc.