[Asterisk-Users] Let's TALK ABOUT IT!!!

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 07:55:36 MST 2003

sip wrote:

>IAXTEL is a 1-700 system designed for on-net calls.
>We have very low-cost PSTN lines to 48 states for no-cost long-distance
>dialing. I plan to add some of these lines to the system. As servers are
>added in other cities around the world I envision dialing Berlin, Germany
>from Austin, Texas and using a local hop-off in Berlin to make a local call
>FREE. (No 2 cents per minute)
>
>If we could blend IAXTEL into our PSTN service that would be one major
>hurtle overcome. But that would put a programing burden on the guys at
>Digium and they seem to have their plate full.
>
>So
>Let's TALK ABOUT IT!!!

I think Asterisk would need some new features before this would become a
reality..

Basically it needs the voice equivilent of what RIP does for IP.. this
would allow all servers in the network to know what extensions are
avaliable on all other servers and the best way to get there..

Coupled with that it would need a shortest path routing system so that
it would find the least cost route from UA1 to UA2 through a network of
servers..

Without these you will have to have a central server with all the logic
hard coded onto it, sufficent bandwidth to maintain the data rates for
the peak symiltanious calls and enough processing power to handle
encoding decoading and switching all those voice channels..

Or have you thought of a way around these issues?

Later..