[Asterisk-Users] Small problem with FAX and Modem.

Nicholas Romero nxn at idim.com
Fri Oct 3 15:02:30 MST 2003

Is there a good way to detect FAX and Modem on a call that is established
and then take some sort of action?   What I have is a situation that all
calls going out through an asterisk system are being recorded. Some of those
calls are internal fax machines or modems.  When monitoring is turned on is
causes some funky transmission errors with the modems and sometimes Faxes to
the point where about 50% of the time the devices just give up.

What I would like to do is if the systems detects a modem or a fax jump to
another point in the sequence that disables the monitoring.  On inbound
calls this is more obvious but on outbound calls I am not sure of how to
accomplish it.

Sort of an aside to this is that after I started recording all the calls I
have also seemed to introduce some echo somewhere.  The echo was not present
before monitoring but not sure why it would introduce it either.

Any help appreciated.
-Nicholas