[Asterisk-Users] suggested hardware especially sound cards

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Fri Oct 3 06:52:37 MST 2003

Hello,

I've seen various suggestions thrown around for hardware when people ask,
but can we all agree on some basic hardware recommendations for a few basic
setups(and post them on a website) to make it easier for new people to avoid
some of the hardware/software pitfalls when they are setting up their first
systems.

Something like this:

(THIS IS JUST A PROPOSED LAYOUT SO PLEASE BE GENTLE)
for a single corporate office T1 system with 40 employees:

P4 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB IDE mirror RAID with promise card
Digium T1 card
sound card XXXX (someone please suggest a good universal sound card that
works well with Linux and Asterisk)
Redhat 9.0 with all development packages selected
mpg123 compiled from source
asterisk build
42 x cisco 7960 (or grandstream 102) phones running G711u codec
2 x cisco ATA 188 (or grandstream HT) adapters for analog phones and faxes

I'd be happy to post the suggested configs on my website or maybe one of the
dozen other people that host Asterisk info sites could post them there.

I think we should have these setups listed:
- home user with 1-2 telco lines and 2-5 phones
- small office with 4-8 telco lines and 8-16 phones
- small office with a fractional E1/T1 and 12-24 phones
- medium office with full E1/T1 and 24-48 phones
- medium office with 2-4 E1/T1s and 48-100 phones
- large office with 4-16 E1/T1s and 100-500 phones
- multi-location corporate offices with 16-64 E1/T1s distributed and
500-2500 phones
- ACD heavy office suggestions
- IVR or Conference heavy suggestions

Thanks,