[Asterisk-Users] WINXP Messenger SIP Client (Good News, Bad News)

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Thu Oct 2 17:12:18 MST 2003

I think there's a confusion here.
There're 2 different products:
1. MSN Messenger 4.6/4.7 (Windows 9x, ME, 2K)
2. Windows Messenger 4.7/5.0 (Windows XP)

I was told MSN Messenger 4.7 works with the registry hack. Have never
tested this myself, though I'm very certain 5.0 doesn't work.

Windows Messenger is a different animal. It's a SIP UA which happens to
understand MSN protocol. It's using Windows latest RTC API (Real Time
Communication). It's meant to connect to the new M$ SIP server (codename
Greenwich). Both version 4.7 and 5.0 works with SIP servers. You can use
the RTC API to build you own SIP UA. I've written a simple VB client for
use with SIP servers. If anyone's interested, just drop me a mail. Bear
in mind, it only works in Windows XP (which has built-in RTC).