Web Admin - was:Re: [Asterisk-Users] CDR Web Search Frontend

Chris Tooley christ at ntrc.net
Wed Oct 1 07:28:11 MST 2003

> >The way i see it the webtool needs to be something that puts the power of
> >asterisk config to non config file 'freaks' :)

I totally agree, while I don't know any PHP it seems like you're
starting down a track much more like what I was thinking, a menu system,
not a condensed text editor.

> >I'd just like to know, would it be save for me to say that his would need to
> >be a seperate project? If not please feel free to let me know too...
> >If so i'd be happy to take on this project and hope some other people will
> >step in and join me.

Again I'd be happy to help but I don't know PHP, Perl I could help with,
but PHP is not something I'm any good with.

> I think there is room for everyones ideas, the more the better.. The
> biggest problem I see with these things is that many people seem to end
> up developing in parallel streams and the result is 5 seperate projects
> all half baked and incomplete..

Yup, would be good to coalesce the work of everyone involved, while that
can't always be done as things are started in separate incubators it is
nice.  OpenOffice, KOffice and the others are bad examples as they have
circumstances that led to that and a project that big lends it self to
different schools of thought.

> What is needed is for everyone to pool their efforts and come up with a
> definitave web application to run on top of Asterisk..
>
> The best way to do this is
> 1. Everyone who is involved with the project to list all the features
> that  they feel are needed..
> 2. Working through the list and ratifying the feature set..
> 3. Develop a foundation or framework for the application based on the
> featureset..
> 4. Prioritise the features into the important and "nice to have"
> features and also the "Quick wins" which can be built quickly..
> 5. Add features in the order they were decided on in step 4..

In the spirit of this I would like to start out with step 1.

Controlled access (different privileges to change different things)
Simple Voicemail configuration
Simple Extension configuration
Simple "inbound" line configuration (this gets broken up between Zaptel
		config, other PSTN/T1/E1 hardware configuration)
Advanced configuration for other configuration file options

--
Chris Tooley
Networking Technologies Resource Center
Mobile Phone:  659-2498               Email Add:     christ at ntrc.net