[Asterisk-Users] Rate file formats: a standard?

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Sun Nov 30 17:57:08 MST 2003

Hi John-

Over the past couple of years, I've built several calling card platforms for
companies in the UK.

My experience, unfortunately, has been similar to yours with regard to rate
info.  Many (most?) phone card companies, like the ones I worked with, end
up dealing with second-tier international long distance resellers.  The
reason for this is that the few "big guys" don't want to deal with anything
less than several million minutes per month, and require huge deposits in
addition.   This is due to the number of companies that go bust trying to
make it in this very competitive business.

As far as rate sheets, these second tier companies would often send new
rates almost weekly, and printed via FAX.  Furthermore, they often would
send only updates to some countries, and zones within the countries, not the
complete list.  And lastly, they sometimes would have rate "specials" that
would expire a week or two after publication.  All of this made for lots of
work for a "rate analyst" in a typical company who would enter all of this
stuff manually and keep up to date with rate expirations.

I believe the big companies are capable of submitting rates to you
electronically.  But you have to be fairly big yourself to get their
attention as a customer, in my experience.

This may have all changed recently - it would be nice to hear of more
positive experiences from European wholesale customers of LD companies.

Regards
Scott

Scott M. Stingel
Emerging Voice Technology Inc.