[Asterisk-Users] ENUM and DNS/Bind

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Nov 29 11:36:29 MST 2003

In my expeditions into ENUM I've discovered that using old BIND servers leads
to problems with the "\\1" construct. Zone transfers between old BIND servers
that works for all other DNS functions leads to "\\1" being converted to
"\1" and your regexp fails. The zone on the primary and secondary DNS doesn't
match any more, which is a major DNS failure.

ENUM requires the whole DNS structure to be updated for regexps to work.
That's a major problem for ENUM based routing solutions...

I'm now updating all my DNS servers to BIND 9...

Can't require users to do that. Don't know how MS DNS servers treat this
construct. Haven't got any MS servers to test with myself.

/Olle