[Asterisk-Users] How does Asterisk use CPU?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Nov 28 07:41:23 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 06:51, Matthew Asham wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out what portions of Asterisk need a lot of CPU
> time.

Mostly codec translations.

> I thought I read somewhere that a Dual P4 2.something will support
> approximately 80 calls.  Is this based on calls that Asterisk is
> actively doing voice processing for (say, Zap channels and voicemail)?

I think that thread would have been more specific to a task, or just
blanket overkill.

> Would a SIP client going through Asterisk and out an IAX channel be
> CPU intensive if I kept the codec the same throughout the path?

If the codec is the same, then all that is being done is reformating the
control protocol. If there is any codec translations, then you would run
into some extra overhead.

> I'm probably not asking very clearly, it's awefully late (err,
> early) but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you would do better to ask more pointed what YOU need help with.
If you need help with specing out a machine for your installation, then
start specing your installation so we can help.