[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as SIP Proxy

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Nov 28 02:27:35 MST 2003

ranga wrote:

> I have one linux box running asterisk ( say 192.168.68.15 ) and second box
> running partysip (say 192.168.68.6).

> Now this is what I wanted to achieve.
>     The other sip server ( here partysip) may have many users registered. It
> is not possible to make every user's entry into extensions.conf. Instead,
> any mechanism where I can replace 192.168.68.6 with a variable that
> represents the 'To' domain will be a great. In simple, I am looking for a
> line in extensions.conf that looks like following.
> exten => _proxy-.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:6} @ ${DOMAIN})
>
> *variable DOMAIN is my assumption.
>
> This is the possible soln that I can think off. This, I guess, needs little
> hack into chan_sip.c. Is there any other way that simplifies this task?
Hello!

Never start with considering a hack in the source code, that only creates
a mess for yourself when trying to keep updated. It's easier to read
the documentation :-)

You can create your own variables freely in extensions.conf, see the sample
provided in the Asterisk distribution.

Or:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20readme.variables
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20variables

You can also use ENUM for this. See the tips & tricks page on the same
server.

The latest CVS version fully supports domain dialling in SIP, so there
should be no problem with calling SIP/${EXTEN:6}@${DOMAIN}

If I misunderstood you, please explain a bit more so we can help you.

Regards,
/Olle