[Asterisk-Users] Multi-line TTS Outbound Dialer

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 27 21:45:43 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 19:48, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> >Just a warning that you will not know when the line is picked up with a
> >X100P. Later when you upgrade to T1/E1 service you will know when it is
> >picked up.
> >

> So I assume that means that I should just wait until I hear some level
> of noise and then I know that the line has been picked up?

For testing, that would do fine. Like I said, when you move up to
digital, it all is much easier to deal with.

> >You may want to rethink this just a bit, wouldn't want to restart the
> >message because someone coughed on the line. Maybe a limit of how far in
> >to the message before you ignore noise.
> >

> Or maybe noise would have to last for more than a certain period of time
> before it triggered another waiting sequence.  Like, say, if noise lasts
> for longer than 2 full seconds or something.

That may be fine. Although you may have trouble with some line that also
is feeding back echo. That would cause you a bad loop. Like I said, you
may wish to limit the number of restarts just in case you end up
misdialing a system that is just repeating it's menu.

> >Shouldn't be a problem. If you write your own DSP stuff, you could write
> >this using EAGI, otherwise you will need to write it into an asterisk
> >app to get at the already written silence detection. Either way, you
> >could use festival for the TTS, or for certain messages, you could go
> >ahead a record prompts to be played. This way you are sure your message
> >will be understood.
> >

> What is EAGI?  I will probably use festival for the time being, but I
> thing that I would eventually like to use ScanSoft's RealSpeak SDK
> because it is so life-like.  Unfortunately our text alerts are fully
> customizeable, so we can't pre-record them.

EAGI is Extended AGI. Basically it ends the audio data on file
descriptor 3. The original use(I think) was to hook sphinx up to
asterisk in a way that didn't cause licensing issues.

In this case, you can use the audio coming in on file descriptor 3 to
run your own DSP. Of course, with your TTS choice, I guess you will also
being executing a text to speech command to file then stream the file.