[Asterisk-Users] ISDN, BRI, PRI, voice over IP, and more...

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
Thu Nov 27 19:06:08 MST 2003

Thank you for the reply, please see questions in-line.

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 18:36, Steven Critchfield wrote:

<snip>

> I noticed that some of those Polycom units supported V.35 connections.
> You could possibly get a V.35 card for your asterisk computer and split
> the channels off to the V.35 similar to how the ZapRas works. I don't
> know if that will work though.

Ok, I will look at the V.35 options.

> Another route would be to help hack up the libpri code to support the
> 3DSO or Brite signaling to support ISDN lines of T1. CAC has ISDN cards
> for the ADIT600, and I'm sure there is an equivalent for Adtran.

So you don't know of any support to use a ISDN4Linux or similar card as
an ISDN FXS port?

I have found a device that will take a single PRI and break it into
multiple PRI and BRI groups, but it is quite expensive.
http://www.patapsco.co.uk  I was looking at the Liberator 1PxB and
Liberator 2PxB

> As far as the breaking of a few channels to the Modem rack, that is
> easy. Just pick a DID number for asterisk to route the call via and send
> it down one of the second channels. You could ideally set it up to have
> all channels active instead of a fractional PRI up. This would let you
> surge up to whatever your demand needed. It is also probable that when
> your mode needs where high that your office needs are low and it would
> let you use the channels more effectively. Remember you only route on
> the channel, it isn't like each channel is a phone number. Any of the
> channels could be any of the numbers.

Sounds great.

> The VoIP would easily fit into that setup also.

Perfect.  We are looking at providing some remote telephone connections
for our telecommuting users.

>  Not to mention that if
> anyone wanted to loan you other equipment to test out, asterisk could
> provide a PRI connection to it also.

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, Computing Manager
Tucson Support Group - U.S. Geological Survey
520-670-5574 (office) - hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
520-661-7875 (Cell) - hmcgregor at usgs.gov

The opinions/statements expressed herein are my own and should
not be taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the
University of Arizona or the U.S. Geological Survey.