[Asterisk-Users] ISDN, BRI, PRI, voice over IP, and more...

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
Thu Nov 27 15:19:24 MST 2003

Hi,

I am thinking of starting a project at Work to pilot to use of Astrisk
and VOIP, and would like to tie in several projects together.

Currently we are looking at purchasing an ISDN and H.323 based video
conferencing system from Polycom.  It suggests the use of 3-4 BRI lines
(ie 6-8 B channels, but in the form of individual BRIs).  We need ISDN
for the video conferencing to communicate with the Department of
Interior conferencing system.

Also we are looking at setting up a US Robotics Total Control V.90 modem
rack for field users to be able to dial into the network.  We can feed
it with a few analog lines and run it at V.34, but would prefer to use
the PRI card and feed with a few channels.  We are only looking at using
about 4 modems at once, at the absolute most.

I can bring in ISDN BRI lines from Qwest through University Telcom, or I
can bring in a single PRI via any number of CLECs, and have the
University transport it to us.  The PRI would be far cheaper in the long
run.  The problem is finding a way to split the PRI, and Astrisk looks
like it might be it.  I also want to start deploying VOIP phones in a
pilot project, and need circuits for it.

>From reading the archives I have learned that a 4 port T-1 card can
accept an incoming PRI and give an outgoing fractional PRI for a modem
rack, but I have not been able to find any information about serving
ISDN BRI circuits.  If the Polycom unit would accept a fractional PRI I
would be set, but it does not appear to have that option.

Does anyone have any information they can share on this?

			Harry
--
Harry McGregor, Computing Manager
Tucson Support Group - U.S. Geological Survey
520-670-5574 (office) - hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
520-661-7875 (Cell) - hmcgregor at usgs.gov

The opinions/statements expressed herein are my own and should
not be taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the
University of Arizona or the U.S. Geological Survey.