[Asterisk-Users] door phone

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Nov 27 07:00:46 MST 2003

I posted my solution yesterday and it is $50 so not sure why people are
still asking for a cheap solution.

I have a cheap disposable "walmart" phone on the channel bank, in
immediate mode so when it is picked up it jumps immediately to the default
context.

I can also dial it like any other extension to talk to people at the door.

I have a $20 electric strike on the door which is coupled to my burglar
alarm (that I can use a keypad outside to open right now) to interface to
asterisk all I need is the following about $5 worth of stuff.

10k resistor from one of the data lines on the parallel port to base of a
2n2222 transistor, emitter of 2222 to ground/earth, collector to a coil of
a 12vdc pcb mount relay, 1n400x diode in inverse parallel with the coil to
kill spikes, other end of the diode/coil to 12vdc from a disk drive
connector in the pc. normally open contacts of the coil in parallel with
whatever else drives the door strike (normally a 12-24AC/DC supply - AC if
you like that Buzz, DC if a click is more your liking.)

Make a simple agi script either using system command or in C - output a 1
to the bit of the parport, wait 5seconds, output a 0. Done.

Much less than $50 - parts avail - Radio Shack or Dick Smith (are they
still around in AU ?) Digikey is another fine source.