[Asterisk-Users] door phone

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Nov 26 20:43:27 MST 2003

>Hi,
>
>Anyone know anything about Asterisk's support for door phones?
>Receiving the call from the door intercom system, opening the door,
>etc?
>
>Any hardware recommendations? I understand that the equipment we
>have now is Panasonic proprietary and came with the currently
>deployed Panasonic TD12-32 pbx.
>
>We intend to deploy Asterisk in a 72 extensions + 16 trunks in a
>while, so any info will be great.
>
>thanks

While this isn't an Asterisk question, I guess, I find it hard not to
comment on a particularly excellent piece of equipment which which
I've worked previously:

http://www.talkaphone.com/products.cfm?prodid=168

Can be ordered from Grainger (at least, two years ago it could) here
in North America under part number 4RR12 "Emergency Access Phone" for
$623.50.  I'm sure you can find it elsewhere, too.

Built like tanks, designed for outdoor implementation.  I _highly_
recommend this device.  ADA-compliant with braille and raised letters
(must be mounted within wheelchair height to be compliant.)  They can
dial a specific sequence of numbers upon button press, and they can
take inbound calls, or even auto-dial when someone is screaming at it
with the right module option.  Also includes a set of relays that can
be activated via DTMF.  All analog, will plug right into an FXS port.
I'm sure a clever hacker could find some NEMA-rated outdoor boxes
into which an ATA-186, WiFi device, power regulator, and battery
could be built, and a solar panel mounted on the top for a
campus-wide or for large park areas with no wiring...

To address the other point made on this thread: the DTMF sequences to
open the door are only valid coming from the "far end" of the call.

JT