[Asterisk-Users] Crashed Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Nov 26 12:06:33 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 12:55, Clif Jones wrote:
> Thanks for the truly useful feedback.  I'm having a real hard time with
> the FAQ pages listing
> RH 8 & 9 FIRST in the list of Linux distros that Asterisk compiles and
> runs on and having
> any bugs (oh I mean RH problems) discarded.  It would be much more help
> to have responses
> such as yours or to have RH removed from the supported distro lists if
> it truly does not work right with
> Asterisk.  It would also be useful for the experts to tell everyone else
> which Linux distros are
> supposed to work 100% with Asterisk.
>
> One more question for the enlightened:  How does the Debian Distro
> (Woody and greater) play with Asterisk?

Other than a few documented problems with RH that have workarounds
posted to the list, all distros should work. After all it is linux and
most of us are running the same software, just at different releases. So
please understand that you will need to be a competent admin to get very
far here. If you don't feel like you are skilled enough to fix most
problems in a hurry, then you may need to think about hiring such talent
if your project is critical. If this is home tinkering, then this will
eventually cause you to learn quite a bit.

All in all, distros are just crutches to get you into linux. Once you
are here, you still need to learn how to do most things that the distro
would otherwise do for you. It will make you a better person in the long
run.

All this said by a definite Debian supporter. I run asterisk without
problems on Debian machines, but I wouldn't necessarily place the credit
on Debian so much as the ability to get the right packages in place.