[Asterisk-Users] Virtual PBX (*)

Girish Gopinath gopinath_girish at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 04:37:50 MST 2003

Hi,

I have received some replies for my previous mail (* configuration), asking
for my goals in configuring Asterisk. So here they are:

We are planning to host an Inter continental virtual PBX service that will
enable our users to register for an account which give them a toll-free # or
a DID.

Once registered using a web based interface, that user can add as manay
extensions he/she wants and people can be conencted from remote locations in
Japan, India using Asterisk and have a US based phone #. We already have
tie-ups with some of the carrier providers in the US. The initial tests were
successful, we were able to divert calls using IAX2, and we are expecting
around 100 virtual PBX owners and around 2000 users to make use of this
facility, that includes features like Call forwarding, VM, IVR, NAT
traversal etc.

I'm trying to put together a document for my company which would help users
in setting a service of this magnitude using Asterisk and help here would be
greatly accepted, and I promise once finished I will publish all my test
results here in the group.

Now, lets assume I have a linux box on a dual processor 3.2 GHz Intel box
with 4GB RAM, RAID system and at the data center we would have bandwidth of
around 1Mbit

1) How many Voicemails can be recorded at a time?
2)How many IVR's it can handle simultaneously?
3)Whether Postgres or Mysql is best suited?
4)How many NAT traversal relay sessions can be there at a time?
5)How to cluster multiple * boxes? (for failover dialing)

I would also appreciate any user experience in setting up similer systems
using *. and the problems
they had to face etc...

Regards...

Girish