[Asterisk-Users] Distinctive ring confusion

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Tue Nov 25 14:23:33 MST 2003

I am somewhat unsure as to the definition of "Distinctive Ring".

What I am trying to achieve is to have Zap connected phones (TDM400P)
ring with different cadences depending on whether the call is incoming
on the PSTN context or an IAX2 context.

Googling, I find this from Mark:

I've added distinctive ring support to Asterisk now (also I've added
answer confirmation which is an essoterric feature that nobody but oliver
will likely ever use).  Now you can do the following:

exten => 1,1,Dial,Zap/28		; Ring Zap/28 normally
exten => 2,1,Dial,Zap/28r1		; Ring Zap/28 with ring #1
exten => 3,1,Dial,Zap/28r2		; Ring Zap/28 with ring #2

and when I do a "show application Dial", I see :

'r' -- indicate ringing to the calling party, pass no audio until answered

Which doesn't seem to match up with what I have in mind.

Assuming the former usage, and that it does what I am trying to do, do I
have to define ring #1 and ring #2 somewhere, or are they hardcoded in?

Thanks,

Richard