[Asterisk-Users] Prompt recording

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 10:40:40 MST 2003

--- Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 09:24, Jerimiah Cole wrote:
> >

> >>Does anybody have useful tips on creating good quality recordings
> for
> >>use with prompts in asterisk?  I'm interested in hearing input on
> >>hardware (mics, dats, sound cards, etc) and software (recording
> >>software, dsp) as well as recording techniques.

I've found that a mic will pick up a computer fan noise if there is
a PC ruung inplave in the same room.  I was surprized to find out
just how bad a relitively "quiet" PC fan sounds.  I couldn't
figure it out at first as the noise on the recording did not
sound like a fan.

I deally I think you should use some kind of tape recorder and
then run the recording into the computer with a line-in connection
or maybe SPDIF from a DAT

Record at a "high" setting like 16-bit 48Khz and then scale
it down to the required format that way you use the full
dynamic range of the low-end 8x8 format.

You need "dead quiet" in the recording room not just "low noise"

You should be able to do as well as the sample voice recording
which as very good (unless you don't like the slight accent.)

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550