[Asterisk-Users] How to use * to simply skim off callerid (UK)?

Dave Wilson dave at autosdirect2u.com
Tue Nov 25 08:03:05 MST 2003

>> I'm wondering how I could go about placing * into an existing office PBX
>> system so as to capture callerid for further processing via AGI into an
>> intranet app.
>
>If I understand you, all you want to do is use an incoming callerid to
trigger
>an event in your system. If I got that right, it sounds like attempting to
hang
>a second PBX system on the incoming phone lines would not only be
>overkill, but may result in complications with the incoming calls. We have
>developed software in the past that uses a callerid capable modem to
>capture callerid data without interfering with the downstream phone system.
>That is the approach I would look into; it is not only simpler, but far
cheaper
>since you only need one modem per incoming line.

Glenn,

Has your previously mentioned software been compatible with UK (BT)
callerid? I realise Asterisk is overkill for what I've described, however it
was the only real solution I was able to find to allow us to develop the
interface we were looking for.  Though I've said we are only concerned with
the callerid at the moment, this is purely for initial installs. Once we
have our system installed, then we start a program of adding modules, some
of which are tightly integrated with Asterisk functionality (intelligent
call routing based on workflow management rules). We simply want to keep
initial install costs to a minimum for our clients as its difficult enough
to force them to buy in to a complete dealer management solution, without
also having to persuade them to dump their existing telephony systems too.

Thanks,
Dave