[Asterisk-Users] MGCP RFC (2705) vs. PacketCable MGCP spec

ProvoCityPower jwilson at provocitypower.com
Mon Nov 24 18:07:47 MST 2003

We are working on a new implementation of asterisk. We are using a fiber-served WorldWide Packet switch at the home that incorporates a VOIP T2 switch that feeds 2 POTS connections. We are told that the T2 is programmed with code that follows the PacketCable spec. This version has a problem with the 'congestion' message which is based on the MGCP RFC (2705) spec. This causes the T2 to become somewhat corrupted and to play a fluctuating buzzing sound (congestion tone?) after a number is pressed. Dial tone is present. A number may be called, but the tone will stay on. It takes a hard reset of the T2 to restore normal service.

Is there any global way to adhere to the PacketCable spec? Do we need to change the extensions.conf file to use something other than congestion? Are there other conflicts that will bite us?

Any input is truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff