[Asterisk-Users] Ring power on Analog adapters

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Nov 24 17:21:03 MST 2003

mattf wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Ok, I've tried tinkering with the ring voltage (this is an editable variable
>on the Sipure SPA-2000) and I still can't get it to work. I plug a generic
>POTS line in and it works, I plug an analog port from our old Comdial PBX in
>and it works.
>
>with the sipura adapter I've tried changing the ring voltage in the range
>(20V to 90V) and the frequency from 10Hz to 100Hz both in 5 step increments
>and nothing seems to work.

90V, 25Hz would be the best starting point. That is the commonest form
of ring voltage you will find.

>Do these analog -> SIP VOIP adapters truely supply the 24V that a POTS line
>supplies?

A POTS line supplies 48V, not 24V. Its loop current is usually more like
35mA than 20mA. A number of PBX and CTI line cards supply only 24V (the
Dialogic station cards, for example) and a number of phones don't work
properly with them. If your adaptor really supplies 24V, that might be
the problem.

>Anybody have any ideas why this fax machine won't work with any analog
>adapter I've tried?

Note that unles you use A-law or u-law exclusively through the signal
path, no type of modem will work through a VoIP adaptor.

>Thanks,
>
>MATT---

Regards,
Steve