chan_h323 vs asterisk-oh323 (Was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Cisco to asterisk termination with h323 and g729 finally works.)

Adam Hart adam at teragen.com.au
Mon Nov 24 15:51:37 MST 2003

From: "Jeremy McNamara" <jj at nufone.net>
> I would like to hear from anyone else that has real world experiences
> with both chan_h323 and asterisk-oh323.
>
> Be brutal.  I want to know the gory details, so we can stop any future
> pissing matches from even starting by having everything publicly
> documented for all newbies.
>
> Jeremy McNamara

I've used both, I find chan_h323 more robust as it does less. Given it uses
*'s rtp, means less chance of errors but also inherits problems of rtp.c
(inability to set payload) My chan_oh323 still crashes on exit which
concerns me on the quality. (I don't really care if it's on exit). Having
said that, the config options in chan_oh323 are great - the ability to turn
on and off fast start and change the packet payload sizes is handy. My main
problem with chan_h323 was G.729, which caused me switching to chan_oh323
but given my patch has been added, that problem is solved. Speaking of
patches, an unknown feature I submitted was nat=true (same as sip.conf) for
chan_h323. I haven't heard anyone using this so let me know if it does or
doesn't work.

-Adam