chan_h323 vs asterisk-oh323 (Was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Cisco to asterisk termination with h323 and g729 finally works.)

Lubomir Christov voip at minitelecom.org
Mon Nov 24 12:51:20 MST 2003

Hello Jeremy,

we are using asterisk for some of our services long time ago especially
SIP and H323 channels - around 10 000 - 15 000 minutes per day.
Regarding oh323 and h323 channels I have to say my opinion is that h323
channel have much better support for some exotic codecs as g72. than
OH323. This is because of the technology used in chan_h323 it uses core
asterisk rtp stack.
BUT I have the say that I have the same opinion as martin
(martin at agilecall.com): "Although personally I would prefer oh323 for
its very well described config file for now winner is chan_h323" .. and
for some reasons: When we checked the source of chan_h323 (there was
some problems few days ago with g729 support - I know it's fixed yet) I
had the feeling that the channel was written in a hurry and there are
too many things not finished yet - just a example - there are some
functions that aren't doing nothing, just return ...

But still the winner is chan_h323 :)

I'm sure that if Jeremy McNamara and Michael Manousos start working
together on the H323 support in asterisk - then the things will be MUCH
BETTER. And only then * will have a REALLY GOOD H323 support.
Right now we are reading each day the same question: what is better:
h323 or oh323 channels - my answer is both if they start to be a ONE
project.

Lubo