[Asterisk-Users] Cisco to asterisk termination with h323 and g729 finally works.

martin at agilecall.com martin at agilecall.com
Mon Nov 24 09:10:43 MST 2003

Hello,
I managed to terminate calls from cisco: as5300 and 7206 to asterisk over h323.
I tested both oh323 from inaccessnetwork  and JerJers chan_h323.
I used 1.12.2 version of oh323 and 1.5.2 version of pwlib.

After latest changes from JerJer chan_h323.c works ok when receiving traffic
from ciscos. I havnt found any audio problems although I didnt send much
traffic.

Latest oh323 has some problems with proper g729 codec recognition to be able to
terminate from cisco on asterisk both g729 and g729A needs to be set in config
file. Also audio from cisco to asterisk is garbaged and  almost unrecognizable
strange debug messages are written.
Asterisk to cisco audio is ok.

Although personally I would prefer oh323 for its very well described
config file for now winner is chan_h323.

For those who want to use it please remember that cisco's alias introduces
itself as ip so when configuring either oh323.conf and h323.conf
use alias=192.168.0.1 if your cisco is 192.168.0.1.
Cisco's dial-peers can use either "codec" or "voice-class" command for codec
specification both worked for me.
Also remember that g729 from digium is in fact g729a and cisco uses g729b or
g729a depending on what codec complexity has been used. You cannot change on
cisco manually "a" or "b". Medium codec complexity means g729a.