[Asterisk-Users] The internet needs a dialing code..

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Nov 22 02:34:03 MST 2003

Even more cool is to start using ENUM. There's a good new article on how to start doing
that on the Wiki, not contributed by me.

Since the ENUM tree is not very active, only experiments in some countries, we could start
building our own Asterisk/IAXtel ENUM-like tree. One problem though is that if you call me by ENUM,
you'll get a SIP URL that your Asterisk won't be able to handle. As soon as outbound SIP
url is fixed, as well as calling IAX by URL, we'll be able to use Asterisk to
* Automatically off-load outbound calls to VoIP (ENUM will tell if the phone number you're
   trying to call is available on the net through SIP, H.323 or IAX)
* Connect our IAX servers and networks automagically.

ENUM is a magic solution for building structures like the one you're suggesting, WipeOut.

The article
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20E164%20Call%20Routing

Reference on the EnumLookup command with examples from nic.at enum trials:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+EnumLookup

/Olle