[Asterisk-Users] Outline For Asterisk Book - Please Review &Comment

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Fri Nov 21 11:44:38 MST 2003

>Especially with respect to a Orieley & co book, think about a removable
>card that lists in short description the applications and the
arguments.
>This could be the item that gets taped to the side of the monitor of
the
>new user trying to lay out his dialplan.

I have added the pull-out card to the living outline.  Great idea.

>On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 11:34, Steven Sokol wrote:
> 	e.  Key components
> 		1) Asterisk software
> 			i.   Asterisk (Main PBX & Channels)
> 			ii.  Zaptel (Drivers for Zaptel Hardware)
> 			iii. Libpri (ISDN PRI Drivers for Zaptel)
> 		2) Zaptel Hardware
> 			i.   Overview
> 			ii.  X100P - Single Port FXO Line Interface
> 			iii. S100U - Single Port FXS USB Interface
> 			iv.  TDM400P - 4 Port FXS Analog Interface
> 			v.   T100P - Single Span T1/E1 Interface
> 			vi.  TE410P - Quad-Span T1/E1 Interface
> 		3) Channels
> 			i.   Zaptel Devices/Channels

>Suggest that e-2 be removed and merged under this heading. Other than
>mentioning of capabilities there is no need for a chapter devoted to
>them. Add to that that you can then make the case for buying Diguim
>hardware with the channel driver comments.

I don't know.  I think it's a good place to plug for Digium's hardware
and to review the capabilities of the boards.  I imagine
Sec:1,Ch:e,Topic:2 being made up of no more than six paragraphs, one for
each card, with the possible addition of introduction/conclusion
paragraphs.

I just like the idea of letting the reader (who probably doesn't know
much about telephony) what a great deal the Digium card are (especially
in comparison to any of the major players in this space).