[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk suitable for this use?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Fri Nov 21 03:06:09 MST 2003

Hi all,
I sent this question to Digium support as a sales enquiry three days ago,
but I thought I'd try here too in the meantime:

We currently run a telecom switch in Brussels, Belgium, which uses 4
Dialogic Quad cards totaling 16 E1s running on a win2000 server.
We are simply re-routing calls, collecting from one carrier, and terminating
to one of several other carriers, with prepaid billing.
We need audio capabilities to send a c-tone on connection.
We don't need VOIP.
Our current use is about 60.000 minutes per day, with around  150  channels
in use at most times, with peaks up to 240 channels.

I'm looking to build more servers similar to this, and am thinking of using
the Wildcard TE410P with Asterisk on Linux.
Do you think this will be suitable for this kind of load ?
Should I expect more problems with echo, latency etc using the Wildcard than
with the Dialogic boards?
Are you aware of any motherboards with 4 x 3.3 volt PCI slots, or will there
be a 5 volt version of the card available soon?

Thank you for your advice.

Richard Bennett.