[Asterisk-Users] Tuning the Linux kernel?

Thu Nov 20 21:03:16 MST 2003

> What performance increase do you expect if you don't
> load a module?  In theory you'd use less RAM but with
> a modern VM system the disk sectors don't get mapped into
> physical RAM unless the code is executed.
>
> Whenever Linux needs more RAM most of the time it simply
> overwites the RAM used to hold the executable code used by
> some program.  It doesn't even have to bother saving what
> was over written because it can always re-read it from
> the .so or executable file.  so these "extra modules" just
> get over written anyways.  You save very little.
>
> From a "it's nice to do" stand point trim it down but I'd like
> to see hard measured performance numbers from before and
> after.  I would actully expect trimmingwould help but likely
> at the "second decimal place" level.

All true, but... It would be 'nice' from both a reliability as well as a
security standpoint to start asterisk with a *MINIMUM* of modules, or at
least to document in the sample config what is the minimum set of
modules.

Ie, perhaps a parameter that says:
Load all modules by default (which is set to true like now, but can be
changed to no)
Then one by one list each and every module, application, etc.
Place the minimum required apps/modules at the top, and document it
saying these are the minimum requirements.

This way, it is easy to start with the minimum and add what is needed,
instead of starting with everything and slowly trying to remove what
isn't needed (when often you aren't sure what you do/don't need).

To start asterisk, have it crash because xyz module isn't loaded, ok,
load xyz module and retry. It's harder to remove a module one by one and
see if it crashes (assuming you even manage to find the full list of
them).

Just my 0.02c worth. I trimmed my config a bit, but am sure it is
nowhere near minimal.

Regards,
Adam