[Asterisk-Users] Tuning the Linux kernel?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 20 19:29:53 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 17:42, TeleSIP wrote:
> > Another trick to look into is cutting down of the asterisk modules that
> > are loaded. Our newly deployed asterisk machine is not going to do any
> > IVR, and is only going to do IAX2 traffic. Because of this I was able to
> > trim down a lot of the modules being loaded by asterisk and decrease
> > it's memory footprint.
> I agree.  I have been trying to trim down the number of modules that get
> loaded on our machines.  But there are many modules which I have no idea
> what they do.  It would be great if somebody with the knowledge documents on
> the Wiki FAQ at least a one-liner explanation of the module to let us know
> if we need to load it or not for what we want to run.
>
> For example:  pbx_spool.so  => load it if you want to do this or that...

This is where reading the source is probably important, but I'll throw
this together real quick.

Olle, are you watching, this is for the Wiki.

Don't forget that applications are also modules and can be set to not
load. I don't list applications here as they have been listed elsewhere.

chan_agent.so
	Used for the ACD.
chan_iax.so
	Some what obvious, IAX version 1.
chan_iax2.so
	Some what obvious, IAX version 2.
chan_local.so
	Local Proxy Channel. Not sure of its use.
chan_mgcp.so
	MGCP VoIP protocol.
chan_modem.so
	Base driver for modems.
chan_modem_aopen.so chan_modem_bestdata.so
	Old attempts to make voice modems work.
chan_modem_i4l.so
	ISDN modem driver, alternative to the CAPI driver.
chan_oss.so
	OSS sound driver, turns sound card into phone channel.
chan_phone.so
	Linejack cards driver.
chan_sip.so
	SIP VoIP driver.
chan_skinny.so
	Skinny VoIP driver. Used by Cisco call manager.
chan_zap.so
	Zapata channel driver.
codec_a_mu.so
	A-law and Mulaw direct Coder/Decoder.
codec_adpcm.so
	Adaptive Differential PCM Coder/Decoder.
codec_alaw.so
	A-law Coder/Decoder.
codec_gsm.so
	GSM/PCM16 (signed linear) Codec Translator.
codec_ilbc.so
	iLBC/PCM16 (signed linear) Codec Translator.
codec_lpc10.so
	LPC10 2.4kbps (signed linear) Voice Coder.
codec_ulaw.so
	Mu-law Coder/Decoder.
format_g729.so
	Raw G729 data.
format_gsm.so
	Raw GSM data.
format_h263.so
	Raw h263 data.
format_jpeg.so
	JPEG (Joint Picture Experts Group) Image Format.
format_pcm.so
	Raw uLaw 8khz Audio support (PCM).
format_pcm_alaw.so
	Raw aLaw 8khz PCM Audio support.
format_vox.so
	Dialogic VOX (ADPCM) File Format.
format_wav.so
	Microsoft WAV format (8000hz Signed Linear).
format_wav_gsm.so
	Microsoft WAV format (Proprietary GSM).
pbx_config.so
	Text Extension Configuration.
pbx_spool.so
	Outgoing Spool Support.
pbx_wilcalu.so
	Wil Cal U (Auto Dialer).
res_adsi.so
	Resource for ADSI applications.
res_crypto.so
	Resource for cryptographic applications.
res_indications.so
	Resource for indications(ring,busy,congestion,dialtone).
res_monitor.so
	Resource for recording channels.
res_musiconhold.so
	resource for music on hold.