[Asterisk-Users] Tuning the Linux kernel?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 15:00:24 MST 2003

I'd say that unless you can identify a specific performance
problem doing something to the kernel is will not be productive.
A modern kernal with most all drivers loaded as modules is
prety much self-adaptive.  The why to gain performance (if
you need it) is to throw hardware at the problem.  Using
fast SCSI disks, loads of RAM and faster CPU(s) are the way to go
but, big but, unless you've hit an identifiable bottle neck
there is no point.

--- Scott Stingel <scott at evtmedia.com> wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> It's often mentioned here that recompiling the Linux kernel may
> improve the
> performance of asterisk.
>
> My question is:  Does re-compiling the kernel have any effect if
> there are
> no changes to the configuration?
>
> What parameters will typically improve performance?
>
> Thanks for any insight!
>
> Scott
>
> Scott M. Stingel
> Emerging Voice Technology Inc.
> Palo Alto, California and London, England

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550