Asterisk Lists (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Business discussion again)

asterisk at lists.styx.org asterisk at lists.styx.org
Thu Nov 20 12:26:54 MST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:57:08AM -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> While I seem to be deemed the newbie basher, I have already expressed
> similar sentiment to Mark once before. I think newbies are better served
> in -users as there are people here who will answer the question, even if
> it is to say "go look at google".

I strongly agree. Sending them to their own list looks counterproductive
and unfriendly and can only hurt.

> Agreed on what could be discussed on nontech. Business plans? Sourcing
> parts?      Business plans are unlikely as those are usually kept close
> to the company, and sourcing parts is fine for -users as they need them
> too.

But I think questions of "who can provide service of such-and-such a type
in such-and-such a place" are noise on the user's list.

As I understand it, the -dev list is for people hacking the code. The -users
list is for people trying to figure out how to use the code -- i.e. how
to configure it, decide what hardware to use, get the drivers working,
make use of this or that feature, etc.

> As for -biz, I think it may be best to define what you think should
> happen there. If it is to make available vendors to clients, I doubt a
> client would go to a mailing list, but I may be surprised. If it where

When it comes to people buying and selling and advertising products and
services, while the information might be useful, it clutters the technical
discussion.

At this time, when there is rapid deployment of voip stuff, and new
pstn interconnect services are becomming available daily in different places,
there should be a way to disseminate this information (perhaps on the
wiki enen). But it should be in its place, and I do not think that this
place is the asterisk-users list.

> Interop messages are -users messages. Some could say they should
> possibly be handed up to the providers support channels though. Who is
> providing what might best be served by a vendors section on the Wiki.

Sure, I agree. The separation is between "how to I get this to work" vs.
"what do i want and who can i get it from"

> Specifically with locations and range a person is willing to do business
> within. There have been a few questions lately that seem to suggest
> people are ready to plunk down cash for someone to come set a asterisk
> box up for them. These _wonderful_ newbies are paying for their answers
> and the patience of the person who services them. Encourage this
> behavior by giving these people the resource to find a vendor close by
> that does this support work.

Yes indeed, that is _the_ way that many of us make our livings with
open source software.

> The problem with a list is that it will
> require searching, or the same question over and over again with minor
> changes possibly for location.

There is also a Consultants section on the Wiki, why not a VOIP
Service Providers section?

Cheers,
-w