[Asterisk-Users] Service codes for MGCP channels

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Nov 20 10:47:17 MST 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 09:07, John Todd wrote:
> OK, I have no complaints as long as what is in the dialplan takes
> precedence over the hardcoded entries in the channel drivers.  My
> feelings are pretty strong that this shouldn't be channel-specific,

But there are good reasons to have this be channel-specific, as I've
outlined before.  Is it only that you've had to make do in the past,
so you want to keep the hacks that you've already written?

> and I want to handle methods and feedback in my own way (as I have
> done already.)  As long as I can turn OFF the hardcoded features in
> the channel drivers, and/or insert my own dialplan logic such that
> the hardcoded features are never accessed, then that satisfies my
> requirements.
>
> I am still unclear on your arguments as to why (as an example) *69
> should be _hardcoded_ into the Zap channel driver, and _hardcoded_
> into the SIP channel driver, etc. etc. etc.  This seems to be an

The _functionality_ gets hardcoded.  The DTMF does not (although it
should probably default to the American codes, if not overridden).

> incredible redundancy of code for something that should be left to
> the admin to handle themselves in whatever way they want.  After
> all, these are just DTMF sequences - no magic.  If the end device

They are not just DTMF sequences.  They are specific functionalities
that need to be handled within Asterisk itself.

> (SIP, Zap, whatever) has their own CLASS dialplan sets, then that
> is a different problem - either deactivate them and use the server,
> or leave them enabled and ignore things for that line.

How exactly did you hack your dialplan so that forwarding works?
Obviously, it can't be transparently handled without inserting code
in the channel allocation routine.

-Tilghman