[Asterisk-Users] FAQ, Documentation, How-to, etc

Andy Hester cgadmin at conserogroup.com
Thu Nov 20 09:26:28 MST 2003

Just a had to put in a few points on this...

	First, it is correct that there is no cause to be rude, either by repling
rudely or posting without doing any research.  I think that a response
directing them to the proper resources is better than not responding at all.

	Second, one of the main problems has been documenatation as everyone knows.
As one of the people suggesting a wiki several months back, I am thankful to
those who have hosted/maintained/posted.  Searching the mailing list
archives can be futile in a lot of cases because it can be to
tedious/laborious to find an answer in a timeframe that is practical.  This
is why we need the wiki.  I would suggest that we start refering them to the
wiki as well as the mailing list. Props to Olle & BKW for responding with
their docs.

	Lastly, I'm not sure that the footer idea will work at all.  It is doubtful
that the people asking the questions in question will read the footer.  The
idea is to put links to the documentation, wiki, unofficial * pages and
instructions BEFORE the mailing list stuff on the Asterisk support page.
Other wise many will not even see it much less take the time to read it.  I
believe Critch suggested something like this in a thread a few days ago. ie
you can only post after you've read the instructions or something.

Snip

With the exception of I don't know how hard it is to setup, I wouldn't
mind this going to a semi moderated group. RO access requires little
intervention. Basically it is the default. Posting requires a quick read
of the FAQ with a quick push through a small and to the point netiquete
page, and then maybe a 2 or 3 question pop quiz afterwords. After that,
release the posting restriction. It is fairly minimalistic, and
shouldn't get too in the way of users who want to lurk and read first.

Snip

	We as a community have made great strides from even a few months backas far
as docs goes, I think we just need to make sure it gets out there and then
if people still ask questions without research, we can turn Critch loose on
'em. ;)

Sincerely,
Andy Hester