Asterisk Lists (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Business discussion again)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Nov 20 08:59:20 MST 2003

>  > So far it seems like the proposed candidates for new lists are:
>
>>  asterisk-newbies (perhaps a better word?)
>>  asterisk-nontech
>>  asterisk-biz
>
>>  The amount of mail on asterisk-users is more than even *I* can read in a
>>  day, and my job is 100% asterisk.  There probably is a justification for
>>  a new list, but I think it is less the -biz list as much as much as the
>>  -newbies.  Keeping a business discussion on -users is probably quite
>>  useful since often times a business discussion can involve technical
>>  details of what Asterisk is capable of doing.
>
>Agreed...  biz is just a special class of users, but what would go in
>nontech...  newbies wouldn't get much traffic since nobody wants to really
>admit they're a newb and moreso they'd get frustrated that the people who
>really do know wouldn't hang out there.
>
>Although I do like -biz on a separate list because you can also see who's
>offering what, and get help on how to set it up and interop -- think of all
>the vonage, nuphone, p8, ich and other "how do I do this" traffic we've
>seen on -users lately...
>
>Ugh.  I hate trying to figure things like this out.  :-)
>
>Regards,
>Andrew

I have no opinion on the "newbies"  and "nontech" lists, but I
strongly favor a "biz" list, since I have held off on many occasions
from posting "I need a provider in X city who can terminate via IAX"
or "I need a set of asterisk-clued hands in X city" because I knew
that quite a few people (mostly "businesspeople") would use the
"reply-all" feature to spam the list with their replies which should
be to me personally.

I believe these should be digium-sponsored lists, due to the fact
that I'd like to keep the focus of the project on Digium's resources,
to help drive business into their card and device sales projects.

JT