[Asterisk-Users] ATA-186 Double Digit problems

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Nov 20 08:48:44 MST 2003

>At 3:58 PM +0100 11/20/03, Tais M. Hansen wrote:
>On Thursday 20 November 2003 04:38, John Todd wrote:
>>      I'm using ATA-186 devices, with RFC2833 DTMF encoding.  I am
>>  having problems with routines that input long strings of numbers, in
>>  that I am getting more than a small number of double digit entries.
>>  As an example, I have a section that asks for the user to enter a
>>  call forwarding number, and then puts that number into a database.
>>  Almost always, there are double digits when the user only intended to
>>  type a single digit, no matter how carefully they entered their
>>  string.
>
>Sounds very much like the problem we're having when using RFC2833. We're not
>using an ATA device however.
>
>Theory:
>If the endpoint doesn't properly remove the tone sound from the stream and
>sends the RFC2833 equivalent tone event, Asterisk might parse both the inband
>tone and the RFC2833 tone, which will result in two tones.
>
>- --
>Regards,
>Tais M. Hansen
>ComX Networks
>Tel: +45-70257474
>Fax: +45-70257374

Interesting theory, and I see how it would explain the problem.
However: That would imply that if you select "RFC2833" then the
"inband" detection is still happening.  I'm not enough of a coder to
be able to read the code to see what's happening - is the "dtmfmode="
an exclusive setting, or is "inband" detection always working even if
other modes are selected?

JT