[Asterisk-Users] Service codes for MGCP channels

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Nov 20 06:56:24 MST 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 01:54, Paul Crick wrote:
> > Mark has been very emphatic about call features not
> > belonging in the dialplan.
>
> Hmm.. I read this message, and the couple that came after it and
> still have mixed thoughts..
>
> My initial thought was that it didn't make sense - I'd rather have
> control over which codes are used to activate which features, and the
> dial plan is the place for that. It also gives me control over who
> can access or invoke certain services, restricting with contexts and
> includes. It's also along the lines of writing it once, not once for
> every different
> channel/technology.

You will have control over the codes used to invoke call features.

> The follow up though raised a valid point about different channels
> having different signalling etc which is why these features should be
> in the channel specific drivers and not the dial plan. I'm half
> swayed by this argument, suddenly it makes a bit more sense, but as a
> European in North America I still want the flexibility of defining
> which codes activate which services.. *21*xxx# for divert all calls
> makes sense to me, it's what the majority of Europe uses as well as
> all GSM networks. (tangent: I can use *70 to disable call waiting for
> the current call, but there's no way for a subscriber to turn it on
> and off at will is there?)

tangent response:  In my implementation, I'm using astdb to store
these values.  This will allow not only for you to examine the current
state, but it will also allow you to keep values persistent across
restarts.

> Is there any documentation anywhere on the intent of the future of
> this? I know there's a bug tracker ticket here:
> http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000071 but I don't
> think this discussion of "where's the best place for this and why"
> has come up before?

There have been private discussions about this functionality.  When I
have the implementation ready, I will share it on the bugtracker.

-Tilghman