[Asterisk-Users] Help configuring CISCO 7960

Walker Haddock whaddock at datacrest.com
Wed Nov 19 17:16:08 MST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:26:15PM -0800, Tddy wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have just bought a cisco 7960.
Nice phone!

Ohhh, there's lots of good documentation.  www.cisco.com.  You need to get a very economical support contract for less that $10USD/year to get a logon account and access to the software updates which you will need.

>  I need to configure cisco 7960 to work with asterisk but I do not know
> where to start with cisco phone. Where in the phone I can configure all
> settings ?
Are you going to use the Skinny firmware or the SIP firmware?  The Skinny will work well but you don't get all of the phone's features with *.  The SIP firmware provides excellent features.  I'm running the new version 6 release and I have not had any problems with it.

You can configure some of the network and features by pressing the `settings` button the phone, but, it is much nicer to do it from configuration files and let the phone load it on boot fromthe tftp server.

There are several excellent threads on the list that helped me set mine up. just search google.  See the wiki.

If you want to get the phone up right away and it has the Skinny firmware loaded then you will want to use the skinny.conf file and set up the device.  If you want to use SIP and it doesn't have the SIP firmware you'll have to get the contract from Cisco first.  It took me a couple of weeks, but I can get them in 3 days now that I've learned the process.

Walker

********   DataCrest, Inc. -- Technically Superior   ******************
Walker Haddock                       http://www.datacrest.com
DataCrest, Inc.                    e-mail:  wh at datacrest.com
1634A Montgomery Hwy.    phone:  1-888-941-3282, 1-205-335-8589
Birmingham, AL 35216                  fax:  1-205-823-7838