[Asterisk-Users] Anybody using Sphinx

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Nov 18 19:22:55 MST 2003

Arnold Ligtvoet wrote:

>Since I would like the user names to be auto-generated by the system, I
>would guess that this could best be done using festival with a localized
>voice. I think there is a Dutch voice for Mbrola with should integrate into
>festival ( note to self : need bigger harddisk :-) )

Speech recognition accuracy is not great under ideal conditions. Doing
what you suggest seems unlikely to achieve any meaningful accuracy.
Speech recognition training systems require many occurances of a word or
phrase, clearly spoken, before their accuracy becomes useful. A one shot
utterance from Festival seems to fail on both counts :-)

Bottom line: the very best speech recognition still sucks. As a British
speaker I never get more than about 40% accuracy speaking into a US
trained recogniser. I have never had better than about 70-80% accuracy
on a British trained recogniser. Strangely, my terrible Cantonese gets
nearly 100% on SpeechWorks recogniser. :-\

Regards,
Steve