[Asterisk-Users] iax vs iax2 question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Nov 18 16:18:19 MST 2003

I've asked this before but I don't recall seeing anyone respond. Maybe
the answer is so simple that it should jump right out, but its not.

I've got three iax connections defined, two working fine (including one
to iaxtel), and one that is somewhat intermitant. If I do a cli
'iax show registry' and 'iax2 show registry' I see "both" iax and iax2
registrations.

Is there a way for me to config * to always use iax2 (and basically
disallow iax registration), or should I not worry about it?

The intermitant iax site is behind a CheckPoint firewall with udp/5036
open (but no udp/4569). I'm assuming the registration for both is working
correctly since the * machine behind the CheckPoint is initiating the
registration thus opening the nat map, etc. (My * is on a registered IP
with no nat, etc.)

What is somewhat confusing (at least for me) is the iax.conf entry in
the [general] section that says port=5036 (and no port=4569). In this
same file, I'm using:
 register => npi:mypassword at 61.165.175.149
and a context of:
 [sai]
 type=friend
 context=from-sip
 secret=mypassword
 auth=plaintext
 host=dynamic
 trunk=yes
and the dialplan includes:
 exten => _9.,1,Dial(IAX/npi:mypassword at 61.165.175.149/${EXTEN-1})

I understand how to insert Dial(IAX2/ in the dialplan. Should I be
concerned at all on the incoming side?

Rich