[Asterisk-Users] I hate to do this but..

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Tue Nov 18 10:03:09 MST 2003

Jason A. Pattie wrote:
| I have this exact same problem as well.  We have a scenario in which we
| are not using any analog extensions, just SIP and IAX software based
| phones (DIAX, X-Lite, gnophone, (trying to use) linphone, etc.) with a
| single incoming POTS line to an X101P card.  First, the audio level
| coming from/to the X101P card is unacceptable, unless rxgain/txgain are
| turned up.  It starts becoming usable around 6.0.  The desired audio
| level is reached when the gains are increased to between 10.0 and 13.0.
| At 13.0, though, the sound becomes almost too distorted to be of use,
| but it is at a very acceptable loudness level.
|
| As far as echo is concerned, there don't seem to be any problems on the
| side of the person calling into the system to the X101P card.  However,
| if they connect to a SIP/IAX extension, or the SIP/IAX extension makes
| an outgoing call through the X101P card, the echo on the SIP/IAX
| extension is horrendous.  Of all the echo suppressors I've tried, MARK3
| works the best for not blowing your eardrums out.  The problem is
| excrutiating when using MARK2 with AGGRESSIVE cancellation.  When this
| is enabled, and the rx/txgains are anywhere above 0.0 (even 0.5), the
| SIP/IAX client receives some sort of feedback or distortion that can
| only be described as an extremely loud screech or squelch that hurts
| very much.  And, it is rather explosive in nature.  It is partly solved
| by turning down the microphone volume and gain on the SIP/IAX client,
| but it does not stop the problem.  If the rx/txgains are set to 0.0,
| then the volume level coming from/through? the X101P is so low, that
| even turning the volume up all the way on the SIP/IAX client, it is
| extremely difficult to make out what the other party is saying (there is
| a bit of ambient sound level in the location we are working from,
| though).  The same happens if voicemail is left using the X101P.
| However, if voicemail is left using the SIP/IAX client, volume levels
| are very acceptable.
|
| I don't understand what is going wrong.  Do I have a bad X101P card?
| I've tried this card in 3 different machines, so far.  I will be trying
| it in a fourth shortly and let you know how it goes.

Well, I've now tried it in my fourth machine, a PII 266MHz, 128MB RAM
system.  It's slightly better, and I have tried it using MARK3 and MARK2
with AGGRESSIVE enabled.  It seems that it doesn't do bad things when
the rx/txgain is set to 3.0 with MARK2 and AGGRESSIVE, but there is
still a slight echo of the speaker of the VOIP extension (SIP/IAX).  The
echo isn't as bad, because every time they talk, the beginning of the
echo starts fine, but the end gets chopped off, so it's kind of a
stuttering echo, now, which is more usable than before.  I've also tried
multiple combinations of echocancel on and off, and
echocancelwhenbridged on and off as well as the full range of echocancel
being set to 32, 64, 128, and 256.  128 seems to work the best with 256
making the echo seeming to be slightly louder and more distorted.  The
audio input now seems to be at a reasonable level when listening to the
phone line, but it is still a bit soft.  However, the voicemail
recording is still so low as to be almost unintelligible.

Thanks.

- --
Jason A. Pattie
pattieja at xperienceinc.com